He is finally free. He looks towards the minister and says, "I think I have outlived my welcome at the Church."
"Why, you are always welcome under our roof," he replies while turning on his halo.
"There is something about me that just doesn't fit in with this place of worship. You may be offended to hear." The minister takes this as a challenge; his expression shifts from angelic to political. After spending months in the church, Cadence finds it difficult to say, "I am atheist." He knows he could continue on with a speech making himself look more presentable, but it is better to wait for the response.
Warmth seems to speed the duration of moments. But, it is long before the minister formulates something to say. His facial expression becomes null; it reminds Cadence of a salesman.
"I don't think anything less of you," the minister says. Cadence believes this. "We are all entitled to our own beliefs," the minister adds essentially discrediting what Cadence believes.
Cadence is no longer in this world. He imagines what the minister should have said,"Well, this does make for a sticky situation. Tell me more about your views on the world, Cadence; for, I am sure that it is not much different from what we believe. I mean you can manage to keep up with the most devout Christians!"
"That's why I never brought up my true beliefs," replies Cadence (in his imagination, don't forget). "No matter what religion, job, belief that we dedicate ourselves to, we dedicate ourselves to one existence. The SELF." Cadence takes a pause to formulate what else to say.
It is hard to speak about such deep matters; that is, unless two are on the truest trust and comfort levels.
"All beings must service themselves before anything else.. Serving others others. Praying. Looking inward. Meditating. Sports. Talking to yourself. Taking a picture. Being Christian. Being Atheist.. These all boil down to one beautiful thing. The self. We share this with every object. Any idea we think, and object we are able to imagine can be broken down to infinite amounts of SELVES."
"I understood about 6 percent of what you just said." says the minister. "Lets get coffee sometime and talk some more. I have lots to learn from you."
Classical guitar begins to play. Sharp notes tickle auditory receptors in Cadences mind. A woman's operatic voice with deep vibrato flows, "L'amour est un oisean rebelle." A bass drum thumps. Cadence becomes the beat.
He imagines himself jumping from stone to stone. Between each stone are cities and towns, lakes and rivers. Each stone he steps on breaks down dividing walls. These stones will never again appear. The townsmen yell joyous thanks yous from below.
When there are no more stones to jump to, Cadence settles in the only place he can find comfortable for himself. He lives among birds, wolves, and bears for the eternity of his dreams.
He snaps back his reality.
"Ah, but I have lots to learn from you," Cadence replies.

just read that one
ReplyDeletei see a LOT of truth to that
especially because the way you explain the self
i am actually really exploring spirituality within myself right now and trying to figure out who i am spiritually
i have been looking at eastern religion and meditation
and i think you explain it really well
yes, it goes against christianity and anyone who is a christian will strongly disagree
but what you're saying has a lot of validity and truth ( i think)
Your story was interesting. It was very different from all your others... ;) I do understand what you are writing about. I really like what you said about what Cadence thinks the minister should have said. You know sometimes I wonder when people come and talk to a minister or priest about those things that if, most, not all, of the time they are wanting guidance themselves and to not be told 'we are all entitled to our own beliefs'?? Which we are but sometimes some of us need a push in a certain direction instead of being told 'you can do whatever you want'. It's like those children whose parents let them do whatever, whenever they want? Sometimes they like the authorities’ word or guidance instead of being on their own.
ReplyDelete